Go to ...

The Anchor

RIC's Independent Student Newspaper

RSS Feed

What’s Happening?

Jennifer Sanchez~Anchor Staff

At RIC?

RIC

Portuguese Honor Society inducts honorees

RIC – On Wednesday, April 9, Rhode Island College’s Portuguese Studies Program inducted students into the Sigma Chapter of Phi Lambda Beta, the Portuguese Honor Society. Recipients of the John A. Lima and Mary V. Lima Scholarship in Portuguese Studies were also recognized. The event took place in the Alumni Lounge in Roberts Hall. President Carriuolo attended, and shared her warm thoughts with the students that are involved in the Portuguese program. To be considered a member students must have completed a minimum of three years of college Portuguese, or the equivalent, including one course in literature. To be nominated, students must obtain a point average of 3.25 in Portuguese courses and a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0. This year’s inductees are Bianca Barros, a nursing major with a minor in Portuguese, Christine Meririnho, a graduate student majoring in modern languages with a Portuguese minor and Sandra Semedo a health care administration major with a minor in Portuguese. The John A. Lima and Mary V. Lima Scholarship recipients are Sandra Semedo and Ryan Viverios.

Bringing back lost history with “Armenia 100”

RIC – On Wednesday, April 22, at 1pm and at 7:30 p.m. in Sapinsley Hall, RIC artist-in-residence Judith Lynn Stillman  and Trinity Rep Artistic Director Curt Columbus will present a collaborated work for the 100th anniversary of the 1915 Armenian genocide.  The performance titled “Armenia 100,” is directed by Curt Columbus with original music by Judith Lynn Stillman. Other artists that are part of this presentation are duduk player David Gevorkian, visual artist Mher Khachatryan, film and TV actor Armen Garo, baritone Vago Ochanyan and drummer Michael De Quattro.

Feminists United to hold Speak Out on the Quad

RIC – After Deirdre O’Donnell opened up to the Providence Journal about her sexual assault, she and Feminists United have joined forces to hold a speak out on the quad, this upcoming Thursday 4/23, from 12-2 pm. “We think this is the way to go because we want to spread news to the campus that there are resources on campus to go to for support & allies even if they don’t want to take the step of making a report,” O’Donnell said.

she also stated that the speak out is also to promote goals such as sensitivity training for the student conduct board, removing alleged rapists from campus, and education about Title IX. Anyone who wishes to speak out is welcome to, and all in the campus community are encouraged to come.

In RI?

RI

Sketches of new PawSox stadium released

PROVIDENCE – The Pawtucket Red Sox owners revealed sketches for the new Providence Stadium that could possibly generate $12.3 million annually in spending, according to The Sun Chronicle. The renderings provide visuals of the new stadium, which features the stadium itself, a 750-car parking garage, and a nearby waterfront parkway. President James Skeffington says they would invest a total of $85 million to build the stadium and the parking garage, along with other utilities. Providence Mayor Elorza wants to look deeply into the proposed stadium with his team of researchers before making any decision.

Moviegoers and Shellfish supporter receive R.I.

PROVIDENCE – The Rhode Island Foundation has awarded its Innovation Fellowship to two local projects. The first belonged to John Haley, a scientist who discovered a product that attracts mussels. Haley believes this discovery can potentially play an important role for the shellfish industry in the state. The second was from Daniel Kamil and Emily Steffian, the co-owners of Cable Car Cinema. Their goal is to bring independent films from diverse backgrounds into the state. The fund is supported by John and Letitia Carter, who encourage Rhode Islanders to solve issues that are occurring in the state. Each award offers $300,000 for three years.

In the World?

The World

Rubio early runner for upcoming Presidential Election

UNITED STATES – Last Monday, April 13, Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Florida) announced he will be running for the upcoming presidential election 2016. Rubio declared the announcement in downtown Miami in front of the Freedom Tower. Since Rubio’s announcement he has received much publicity and has reached out to former mentor Jeb Bush. Currently, from the Republican party, Marco Rubio, Jeb Bush (R- Florida), and Ted Cruz (R- Texas) have announced they will be running. On the Democratic side, Hillary Clinton officially announced she will run Sunday, April 12. Before being elected as U.S. Senator, Rubio served in the Florida House of Representatives from 2000 to 2008. He received a bachelor’s degree from the University of Florida and juris doctor from the University of Miami Law School.

Newly parents have quintuplets

UNITED STATES – A set of quintuplets was born for the first time since 1969, according to USA Today. Danielle Busby of Houston, and the new mother of five baby girls, had a C-section that took four minutes to deliver. The first set of quintuplets was reported in 1969. There was a second reported in the 1980s, but two of the children died afterwards. Adam, the father, is sharing his journey as a father through a blog post he created. The names of the quintuplets are; Olivia Marie, Ava Lane, Riley Page, Parker Kate and Hazel Grace.

Follow and like us:

Tags: , ,